From the Babylonians in 2800 BC to Brad Pitt’s character Tyler Durden in Fight Club, the process of making soap has come a long way.
Soap-like substances were found as far back as 5,000 years ago, as Babylonians, Mesopotamians, and Egyptians were the first known makers. They mixed fat, oils, and salts to make soap for medicinal purposes or to clean cooking utensils. The ancient Greeks and Romans also utilized soap, using similar methods.
It wasn’t until World War I that the chemistry of soap changed. During the war, there was a shortage of animal and vegetable fats used to make soap, so chemists used other materials with similar properties to create detergents.
Flash forward to current times and soap is as widely available as ever. So many options. So much to know. But we’re here to talk about laundry detergent.
What’s in Laundry Detergent?
With all the different types of brands and options available, it can be hard to know what laundry detergent is safe for you and your family. Most laundry detergents contain surfactants, water softeners, and stabilizers.
With a commitment to people, pets, and the planet, we wanted to show you the ingredients Biokleen laundry detergents avoid using and why.
Biokleen laundry detergent never contains:
- Phosphates. Why? They harm water systems and aquatic life.
- Ammonia. Why? Ammonia impacts water systems and aquatic life. It’s toxic and reactive to common household cleaners that can create toxic products.
- Chlorine. Why? Chlorine is a health concern because it’s reactive to common household cleaners that can create toxic products.
- Optical Brighteners. Why? These are an environmental concern because they aren’t readily biodegradable.
- Dyes. Why? Dyes pollute water systems if not properly treated before disposal, negatively affecting the environment.
- Isothiazolinone Preservatives. Why? It can cause skin irritations and contact dermatitis, particularly in those who have skin sensitivities and allergies.
- Artificial Fragrances. Why? Artificial fragrances are an environmental concern because they can pollute air and water. They are often derived from petrochemicals linked to chronic health problems.
The Bottom Line
Do you know what’s in your laundry detergent? Biokleen focuses on natural fragrance extracts to give clothes a light scent without being overpowering. We also make a Free & Clear liquid that’s fragrance-free and hypoallergenic. It’s Safer Choice certified and perfect for those with sensitive skin.
Have any questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us.